I was at the grocery store the other day trying to decide on what brand of coffee I wanted to buy. I don’t know about you all, but anyone who knows me well knows that I’m a huge fan of coffee…I literally by it.
I like to experiment with different flavored coffees and coffee drinks. I promise that this post won’t be all about coffee…but if you are a coffee lover and enjoy the extra jolt of energy that it provides as well as the taste, you might find this post very beneficial 🙂
If you’re always on the go and need more energy to make it through your day, your body might be trying to tell you something.
There has been much debate about the advantages and disadvantages of drinking coffee, but did you know that there are other great ways to get an extra boost of energy throughout your day besides filling up on coffee? The coffee itself can be beneficial to your health, but the sugar and creamer lack nutrients…they are considered empty calories.
Before I enrolled back in school I would drink three to four cups of coffee a day! Here’s a list of natural and healthy energy boosters that I started trying that work really well!
- green tea
- berries (blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, cranberries, *acai berries (which is actually a drupe and not a berry)
- ginger (a natural anti-inflammatory…try it with raw honey)
- *Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (dilute 1 or 2 tablespoons in 8 ounces of water and add 1 or 2 tablespoons of raw honey)
- other natural energizing beverages – KeVita Master Brew Kombucha Drinks, Celsius Green Teas
- 25-50 jumping jacks (works great if you don’t have time to do 30 mins of cardio)
So…do you remember when I said
in order for you to be able to develop your project/prepare your purpose for success, you must first get your health to an optimal level (the best level/state that can be achieved)?
Do you also remember when I mentioned that
you must first attain an optimal level in each dimension of health/wellness in order to be able to attain the purpose for your life?
It’s okay if you don’t…just try to remember that the healthier you are, the more you can get done…the more that you able to get done, the easier it will be to prepare yourself for success!
The six dimensions of health/wellness are physical, social, emotional, intellectual, spiritual, and occupational/financial/environmental.
Nutrition falls under the physical dimension. It can be quite challenging to start changing what you eat when trying to achieve total wellness in your life.
In saying so, you must first work on changing your mindset. Change comes by reprogramming your mind. You must reprogram your mind to focus on thoughts of forward-thinking (develop a habit of thinking and acting boldly and ambitiously about your purpose).
Your body requires nutrients in order to function properly; the choices you make now such as what types of foods and beverages you consume contribute to your over health and survival. You cannot prepare yourself for success if you’re putting yourself at risk by not maintaining a healthy diet. Your health affects you more than you may think.
Intriguing Statistic: The CDC list the leading causes of death for the United States from 2015…surprisingly all of the causes are significantly related to a person’s health…even suicide which relates to a person’s mental health.
Here are some links that provide some more great information on nutrition.
- U. S. Department of Agriculture: Food and Nutrition Information Center
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2015-2020 8th Edition
- U. S. Department of Agriculture, USDA: Choose My Plate
- CDC Data & Statistics on Nutrition
Lastly, here is a list of some benefits of drinking smoothies and a video where I share some smoothie making fun! I encourage you to try to substitute your morning coffee for a delicious smoothie at least two days out of your week. If I (the coffee lover) can do it, I know you can too! Even if you’re not a coffee drinker try the smoothies anyway! They’re good for you and your body with love it!
Benefits of drinking smoothies:
- contains fruits and vegetables that provide your body with nutrients that are vital for your health
- contains water which is an essential nutrient that your body needs in order to function properly
- provides natural energy
- is easily digested
- works as a natural detox
- does not require extra sugar for flavoring
- taste great!